4D Studio architect Wandsworth has been granted full planning permission for a striking proposal for a three storey high building at St Andrews Court, Waynflete Road, Wandsworth
The permission was granted because of our design-led approach ensures high-level integration with the surroundings and the appearance will provide a high-quality architectural design.
As an extension to an existing building it was a requirement that it should be well designed and the design was required to preserve or enhances the conservation area
The application site comprises a post-war three-storey block of flats which is sited on the north-western side of Waynflete Road, SW18. The principle elevation of the building faces on to St Andrews Court to the north where two other similar blocks of post-war flats are sited. The application site is partially screened from Waynflete Road by a 2-metre-high boundary fence and a row of mature trees.
All the trees are protected by statute by virtue of being sited within a conservation area.
A row of Victorian terraced properties are sited 22 metres to the south-east on Waynflete Road. The Grade II listed St Andrews Church is sited 18 metres to the west. The church, by E.W. Mountford, was completed in 1902 and is built with red brick and stock brick.
The site is located within Magdalen Park Conservation Area. The conservation Appraisal and Management Strategy provides that the special character of this conservation area is derived mainly from the coherent quality of two formally laid-out, low-rise Council housing estates built around 1933: The Fieldview and Openview Estates; the various private houses and maisonettes built by Holloway Brothers on Swaby Road, Magdalen Road and Burntwood Lane (c.1913) and; the formal playing fields, allotment gardens and the primary school that lie in the open area between the Fieldview and Openview Estates. The Appraisal identifies the application site as making a negative contribution to the conservation area.
We will erect a three-storey extension that will extend beyond the western flank wall of the existing building to accommodate 3 x 1 bedroomed flats. It will be built over 74 square metres of an existing grassed area which provides existing residents with amenity space. Approximately 500 square metres of open space which surrounds the application building will be retained.
The extension will have a depth of 9 metres which will correspond with the depth of the existing building. It will have a part-flat and part dual-pitched roof. The part of the building with a flat roof will measure 8.5 metres in height the pitched roof of the proposal will measure 11 metres high to the ridge of the roof in to correspond with the existing roof. A 250mm wide shadow gap will be provided between the existing building and proposed extension. Three 5 square metre terraces will be provided at the south-west corner of the building on each of the three levels. The external walls of the building will be faced in brickwork to match the existing building and the pitched roof with tiles to match the existing roof.
We will retain the communal garden space at the site, respect the appearance of the existing building and will not cause harm to the character and appearance of Magdalen Park Conservation Area or the setting of the Grade II listed St Andrews Church.