Our starting point is that Hurlingham House, built in 1706 is still essentially a beautiful old house set in a lovely garden.
The garden itself was originally designed by Humphrey Repton and later added to and altered by Capability Brown. The original house has been much altered and in 1906 Sir Edwin Lutyens designed improvements to the house and grounds.
4D Studio are now commissioned by members to prepare design concepts for a major redevelopment – the construction of a new west wing that can be built while the existing swimming pool that is part of the existing west wing is retained and remains in use.
In preparing these designs we are driven by the overriding fact that Hurlingham House is an oasis of tranquility in busy west London and that this is essentially due to is harmonious relationship with its luxuriant garden setting. Our mission is to design a new west wing that is entirely in keeping with the original house while providing the new and improved facilities required by the members of the Hurlingham Club and to achieve that with a contemporary building within the design ethos of a country mansion. It must also be laid out to ensure that allows the retention of the wonderful wisteria avenue and the impressive lime trees.
The photographs and photo montages that accompany this text show ‘before’ and ‘after views of key facades and I hope you will agree they are entirely in keeping with Hurlingham House.
Our current proposals, one with another indoor pool (A), the other (B) without do not cause the indoor pool to close for 2 years and the area they provide either matches or exceeds the facilities provided in the consented scheme.
These plans and computer-generated images follow what members resolved needed to be done in their last AGM Resolution calling for a “Rethink and slight scaling back” of the Maximum Scheme
The area of Hurlingham can be traced back to around 700 when it was part of the estate belonging to the Bishops of London, whose summer residence was at the nearby Bishops Palace. The Palace served as a Bishop’s residence for over 12 centuries. Their Manor of Fulham covered the whole of what is now Hammersmith and Fulham, Ealing, Acton and Finchley.
The area of Hurlingham remained open fields until the 17th century it was chosen as the location for an isolation hospital for plague sufferers – the lake is situated where the plague pit was.
In 1760 Dr William Cadogan chose Hurlingham Field to build a ‘cottage’ and a new front was built onto it in the early 1800s. This had a grand neo-Classical facade designed by by George Byfield for John Ellis. Additional alterations took place in subsequent years including those designed by architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, in 1906.
Hurlingham House was a private home until it became the Hurlingham Club in 1869. It’s first sport was pigeon shooting, and polo was introduced 1874.
Various other sports have been enjoyed at Hurlingham, including golf, tennis, croquet, archery, and ballooning.
Comments are closed.