The 5 bedroom house is on the site of the fire damaged former Whistle Stop nightspot at Hampton Court in the Borough of Richmond. It includes a full basement that required major temporary supports for the historic 16th and 18th century brickwork walls that line Bushey Park and had to be retained as part of the new house design.
The excavation created a basement across the entire site and involved underpinning to strengthen the listed wall to the park and adjoining buildings
We worked on a variety of options for this spectacular site opposite the Lion Gate entrance to Hampton Court Palace and fronting the Grade 1 Bushy Park.
We converted the existing fire-damaged Building of Townscape Merit into a high-end house comprising extensive basement and three upper floors linked by a lift. Generous terraces and a courtyard provide private recreational areas on this prominent site.
The Lion Gate was once part of a grand design drawn up on behalf of King William and Queen Mary by architect Sir Christopher Wren. A period of austerity prevented the plans proceeding until later gardeners were able to lay out the Chestnut Avenue to Wren’s design and leading to the Lion Gate.
These proposals stand to one side of the Gate and offer fine views of the Park and Palace.
4D Studio have worked as architects and interior designers in Richmond for many years, This is one of several projects that we have undertaken in the Borough of Richmond. Others include schemes in Hampton Hill, Teddington and Richmond itself. Over time we have successfully established relationships with the Richmond planning authorities, amenity groups and local residents. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you are considering a project in the area. We are the ideal choice of architect in Richmond and would be pleased to hear from you.
Architecture and design History
The north façade of the existing building sits on the edge of Bushy Park, one of Richmond’s Grade 1 parks. Part of the façade comprises the park wall itself and the existing buildings on this site are a prominent, albeit, unsightly visual marker to the side of Lion Gate.
Henry Wise laid out Bushy Park in the reign of William III & Mary II in accordance with designs by Sir Christopher Wren. His plan was to make the main route to Hampton Court Palace via a quadrangle accessed through Bushy Park from the Teddington Gate. A splendid avenue of lime trees was planted in 1622, which later in the century became known as Chestnut Avenue when a row of chestnuts were added. Stretching over a mile, the avenue was conceived by Sir Christopher Wren as a formal approach to William and Mary’s palace at Hampton Court.
The Diana Fountain and the rows of horse chestnuts and limes that line Chestnut Avenue were completed in 1699. Attributed recently to one of the masters of 17th century bronzes, Hubert Le Sueur, the fountain was originally called Arethusa, after the nymph in Ovid’s Metamorphoses who was rescued by Diana. Charles I had the fountain designed for his Queen, Henrietta Maria. However it was not until 1713 that Sir Christopher Wren placed it in its present position on a heavily rusticated plinth. It formed the centrepiece of Wren’s grand layout for the Park and is approached from the impressive Chestnut Avenue.
However, the planned new grand entrance to the palace on the north side of the Great Hall was thwarted by the death of the King in 1702 and remained unbuilt.
Comments are closed.